Friday, July 2, 2010

Letter to Al

Dear Al Gore,
I'm all about saving the world. I've switched to reusable grocery bags, we recycle (as much as Kannapolis allows) and we've switched to the energy star CFL light bulbs. But I'm here to say "WHAT WAS I THINKING!"
Last night, Steven was playing with our dog Ivy, when I heard a loud pop. Steven threw Ivy's rope bone right into the overhead light bulb, a CFL no less. As I took in the scene I almost had a heart attack. As you must know, CFLs are full of a toxic powder which contains mercury and there are extensive guidelines for cleaning up broke CFLs. But the best part Al, is that there are different guidelines for different surfaces. There are guidelines for carpet, clothing and hard surfaces, all of which were contaminated in my house. You see Al, the light bulb burst over my rug, hardwood floor, couch and let's not forget the basket of socks that I had yet to put away. But don't worry, 1.5 hours, two ziploc bags, 3 microfiber cloths, a roll of tape and 3 vacuum bags later, I am proud to announce that we have a toxic mercury powder free and dog hair free couch, rug and hardwood floor. I hope. Now if you'll excuse me Al, I have to go buy all new socks for my husband and I. You see, according the the energy star website, all clothing that comes in direct contact with the CFLs, must be sealed and thrown away.

I'll leave you with one question to ponder... Do you think the energy savings yielded makes up for the roll of tape, 3 vacuum bags, 4 microfiber cloths and 2 ziploc bags?

Sincerely,
A Greener Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment