Let me just start by saying, OVERRATED!
I made this sponge cake. http://www.joyofbaking.com/ChocolateGenoise.html
If you're like me it took you ten minutes just to read/comprehend that recipe.....and another ten to look up the correct tools and techniques to make the cake.
This cake proved to be a challenge mostly because of Connor. If you read the recipe you will not that there are several sessions where you are whisking ingredients continuously for up to ten minutes. That does not go over so well with a screaming baby in the background. There were several times where I found myself whisking away and bouncing Connor's seat with my foot.
I used almost every dish in my kitchen and had to stop to wash dishes TWICE! I want to know who has that many bowls in their kitchen because I surely do not! If you saw how much pyrex we got for our wedding you can understand just how many bowls were required to complete this recipe.
The cake part turned out perfect. The mousse turned out runny. Of course, this was because the melted chocolate was too hot but it doesn't tell you that until the end. When I put the cake together the mousse kinda ran all over the place!! You couldn't even taste the orange soaking syrup.
The verdict? The cake lacked presentation but tastes pretty good. The book club ladies liked it or they were at least gracious enough to say they liked it! It was very rich and SO NOT WORTH THE TIME IT TOOK TO MAKE IT.
Oh well, cross one off the list!
**I wanted to take pictures during and after the whole cake process. Unfortunately, the process was so intense I didn't stop to take any pictures. By the time the cake was done I was so frustrated I was just ready to throw the thing in the refrigeration and be done with it.
1.
2.
3. Take Connor to the zoo.
4.
5. Trim the hedges.
6. Shop at the farmers market regularly.
7. Surprise Steven
8.
9. Read a classic novel.
10. Blog regularly
No comments:
Post a Comment